the life and times of kit

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

More about Ringtones

This is the post I intended to write, before the quote from my previous post distracted me.

Cool article on ring tones. I tend to find almost anything Sasha Frere-Jones writes interesting, which is why I wish I remembered to read the New Yorker more often. I have it bookmarked...I just always get so caught up in refreshing Instapundit and Wonkette that I forget to check it.

Three things I noticed in particular:
1. Ring tones are a $4 billion global industry - each selling for about $2 a piece. I am clearly in the wrong industry. (then again, most of that money, it seems, is being sucked up into the black hole of the music industry, so maybe I'm not in the wrong place)

2. 56% of ring tones sold are hip hop. Apparently Lizzie Grubman was right. She's so great (kidding). I think she's so not pretty, too.

3. Frere-Jones talks about the tinny, transistor-like quality of master ring tones on older phones. I, myself, have never had a personalized ring tone and don't think I ever probably will (it would take me too long to pick one out, then I'd be forced to acknowledge that I was looking for the right combination of "coolness and irony" and I'd have to shoot myself). But for a while, my brother's old phone played a master of the 90210 theme song. Besides that it was a perfect song for his phone, something about the tinny quality of the transmission made it even better. Maybe it was because it did sound like history - and that show represents a great period of time in my personal history. But it sounded right.

That's it. I'm a little less disgusted with the "irony and coolness" thing now...certainly not entirely over it, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home