the life and times of kit

Friday, April 08, 2005

Writing Again

A few months ago, I mentioned that I hadn't had an authorly crush in quite some time. I'm happy to say that all that's changed now (and just might be the reason why I was able to actually finish the Alexandra story - and have two additional fiction story ideas - within the past week).

My new hero is Bill Bryson. He's not exactly a new author, but he's totally new to me. When Cooper painted the built-in bookshelves in our living room, I went through all the books to sort out some to give away. In doing so, I found a book called Neither Here nor There, written by Bryson around 1991. Its nonfiction, about his travels through Europe in the 70s and 1990. It is the first book I've read straight through in years. I ALWAYS skip to the end after about 50 pages, then go back and read straight through. Even when I read DaVinci Code (in under 24 hours). Not this book, though.

The author is funny and interesting and a good storyteller. And the subject - to me - is wildly interesting. I love reading about Europe, especially Eastern Europe, in 1990 (just after the fall of the wall) from a non-historical perspective.

Bill Bryson. Highly, highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home