the life and times of kit

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Misery Loves Company?

Driving to Annapolis yesterday, I was listening to the radio, as I usually do, when one of the perky, MIX stationy DJs said, "Congratulations, everyone, we made it to Friday!"

I realize that this is a fairly innocuous comment...but it annoyed me so much. I realize that I have a pretty nice life right now, what with the working from home and the blending of the weekdays and weekends. And I remember what it felt like to dread Mondays and to be incredibly relieved on Friday mornings. But there was something about the way she said "Congratulations!"...

There are very few actual circumstances in which its appropriate to be that excited about making it through one more week. Fighting a terminal illness, for example, or grieving for someone you love. Existing as a POW in Vietnam. Battling depression. Getting through alcoholism (or other addictions). These are reasons to celebrate the successful passing of a week. But just going to work? No.

Not that its the DJs fault, really. She's trying to create a community among her listeners, and commiseration is probably the quickest way to do that, though definitely cheap. But my first thought was, is it really necessary to belittle truly trying circumstances (like the ones above) by pretending that the whole human condition is so miserable that it warrants a weekly celebratory milestone?

And my second thought was that by doing that - by creating the milestone - she (and every other MIXy DJ out there) is promoting a culture of misery and whining. Which doesn't help anyone, really, at all.

My third, thought, though, was simple: I really hate DJs. Especially mid-morning to mid-afternoon DJs on MIX stations with poorly defined, wide open demographics (like 18-54 is tight?). So it doesn't really matter what she said, I probably wouldn't like it.

FINALLY: yes, I do realize that its quite ridiculous and hypocritical to complain so much about someone creating a culture of whining. I'm still trying to take the high road here. I guess. Blame it on the DJ-created community of commiseration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home