the life and times of kit

Saturday, December 18, 2004

A Child's Library

In my last post, I mentioned that I have a lot of kids books in my collection. I might have exaggerated a little - I'm not sure that what I have constitutes "a lot" but it is carefully chosen. I give books as baby shower gifts fairly often - I think it's a great thing to start a baby's library. My grandmother started reading to me pretty much as soon as I was born and I'm convinced that's what encouraged my love of books - so I think it's great to encourage it in others.

As far as I'm concerned, the best books for little girls (the ones I still have with me) are: the Madeline collection, the Eloise collection, the Olivia collection and A Very Young Dancer by Jill Krementz.

There's definitely a theme.

All three of the collections are available just about everywhere. They're also heavily merchandised (which I appreciate - I have an Eloise pencil holder and an Olivia calendar on my desk and a Madeline doll in my guest room). But A Very Young Dancer is out of print (and pricey if you buy it used off Amazon). I can't really understand why.

It's the true story of a little girl named Stephanie who, in 1974, was chosen to be Mary in the American School of Ballet's Nutcracker. The author, Jill Krementz, was (is?) a photojournalist. She tells the story in first person, accompanied by great black and white shots of the little girl as she goes through tryouts, rehearsals and, finally, the shows.

I got the book for Christmas when I was five years old. At the time, it perfectly described my dream. Stephanie was a star - and she was only seven years old. She didn't even have to wait to grow up to be the best at something. The story and pictures are full of wonder and excitement and everything Christmas is to little girls.

I still read it every year at Christmastime, usually sitting next to my tree.

If I could write a book with half the staying power as A Very Young Dancer, or any of my favorites, I would be very, very happy indeed. Just about as happy as a seven-year-old playing Mary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home