the life and times of kit

Monday, January 10, 2005

Excess of Time

Last Thursday, just after Microsoft released it's miraculous new anti-virus update, my computer basically stopped working. I finally got it back last night, with all of my documents intact except for my entire email address book and all of the emails I'd saved. Obviously, I've been happier.

I had a lot of time over the weekend to think, though, about how I used to occupy my time in the pre-Internet days. The endless hours with nothing but books and TV as company (oh, and people I guess) reminded me of when I was a little kid and used to hang out at my grandmother's house. She had a few of these very cool games - they were plastic boxes filled with water and little balls. One was a basketball game and the other was tic tac toe. There was a rubber button on the outside of the game that shot a burst of air into the water every time you pushed it. The bubbles would move the little balls - and that was how you made baskets or somehow got tic tac toe. It was ridiculously simple and hard all at the same time - and endlessly entertaining.

I haven't seen any games like those in years. I wonder if there's even a market for them now.

Then, this morning, with my Internet connection returned, I read Stephen Green's post about Legos. I love those things, too. They are SO much better than all of the so-called educational toys out today. And so fun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home