the life and times of kit

Friday, January 28, 2005

Two Recommendations

1. Right now I'm eating a pint of Sharon's Gourmet Sorbet from Trader Joe's - in coconut. It is delicious. Tastes exactly like the inside of a Mounds Bar. I really recommend it.

2. I also recommend this article on the new Indian version of the Spiderman comic book. I'm not at all into comic books (with the exception of the Archie series, of course) but I am into global marketing and universal truths and other such complicated concepts. Plus, I've used the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" SO many times to defend the US's role in Iraq to my uber-liberal-type friends. The article discusses the adaptation of American values in the original Spiderman comic into a story that will resonate more with Indians. As I would suspect, though, given my belief in the existence of core universal truths, desire for freedom and the existence of globally understood archetypes, the parts of Spiderman that seem the most "American" to me are the parts that are actually universal to all humans.

Anyway, it's an interesting article. I'll be thinking about it for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home