the life and times of kit

Monday, March 07, 2005

Moby v. Nick & Jessica. Advantage: Lachey

A few weeks ago, there was a lot of buzz about Moby's new record and his song "Beautiful", "inspired" by Nick and Jessica's "simpleness." (like all the scare quotes?) It made me roll my eyes at the time (Moby is soooo serious. Which is soooo boring.) I don't know why I didn't just forget about it, but the whole deal popped into my head this morning while I was supposed to be yoga-ing at the gym.

I can't help but think that Moby's shot at the aesthetically-pleasing N&J is underscored by a lack of understanding and tolerance (and theoretically, shouldn't Moby, of all people, be fabulously tolerant)? He calls them "simple" which to me suggests that he looks down on them for not being more openly intellectual.

Thing is, Nick and Jessica obviously have strongly held beliefs and are more than willing to share them with the adoring public. The whole Jessica-virgin thing for one. Jessica singing for the troops at USO shows. Nick refusing to buy a Canadian Christmas tree. A healthy respect for Miller Lite.

Not everyone can be the brightest kid in class and there's a lot to be said for understanding your strengths and running with them. And it seems to me that Nick and Jessica understand that as celebrities they have influence. Instead of going all Sarandon on their fans, though, they just try to lead by example. They're not shoving their morals down anyone's throats, either (unlike certain other celebs with their politics).

I didn't mean for this post to sound all "Nick and Jessica are the BEST!!!!!!" but it does seem to me that they handle their celebrity just fine and better than most. And I bet that if their politics were just a little different and if their morality was closer to hippie than heartland, Moby would have noooo problem with them at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home