the life and times of kit

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Steve Jobs' Commencement Speech

Amazing speech. It's personal without being exclusive and offers real advice, not tired platitudes.

It made me feel good about getting fired. Actually, really good. And it slightly eased my obsession with death that began on the fourth night of my honeymoon (triggered by an old episode of Six Feet Under with Portuguese subtitles. Weird.)

I was lucky enough to have an amazing and brilliant commencement speaker, as well - Justice Scalia. I couldn't find the whole text of the speech (1996 was a long time ago, after all), but here's a quote. W&M is really good at attracting great speakers, who give great speeches (I thought John Stewart's speech at last year's graduation was pretty fantastic, too.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home