the life and times of kit

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

That AP English Rush

Reading analysis like this almost makes me miss English class discussions (MAJOR Harry Potter spoilers in the link, if you care). Not in-class essays, though. I have enough stress in my life without those.

It's almost daunting to uncover the layers of JK Rowling's books. She's influenced by so many different things - one of the points mentioned is that she's established a color-based series based on alchemy. I don't know if that was conscious or not, but with as much as she obviously knows about mythology and the history of storytelling, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's amazing to me that anyone can write something so apparently effortless (it is SO easy to read) that has so many layers of significance. And that such a popular children's book is worthy of high-level analysis.

I can't say I'm not jealous...

5 Comments:

  • Kit--
    Thanks for posting the link. I totally agree with you about missing English class discussions as a result of explications like that.
    After reading it, I spent a solid thirty minutes having a complete English-major geek moment...and then another thirty minutes trying to figure out which boxes my HP books are in so I can re-read all of them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

  • I'm such a dork I then spent another hour or two reading essays and posts at www.hogwartsprofessor.com (the site of the guy who wrote the book about God and Harry Potter). The analysis is really pretty intense - he has all these theories about the way Rowling is using media attention right now to undermine speculation about certain potential book 7 plot points. It almost seems too thoughtful (and conniving) to be true...except that these books are taken so seriously.

    By Blogger Kit Pollard, at 5:42 PM  

  • BTW, I had a lot of time on my hands today, obviously. The direct TV guy was here from 9-3:30 setting up our TV. Why so long? I have NO idea. I almost read the whole internet.

    By Blogger Kit Pollard, at 5:43 PM  

  • I went to (and bookmarked) the Hogwarts Professor site as well. Both of the sites REALLY made me want to go back to my junior year English class and talk about The Great Gatsby endlessly...Great multilayered writing always makes me think of TGG and how nothing just...is in Fitzgerald's world. And apparently not in JK Rowling's either.

    By the way, if you need some good sites, let me know. Unemployment has definitely expanded my list of bookmarked sites.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 PM  

  • I know all about unemployment's effect on bookmarks...and I am always looking for good new sites. Especially these past few days - I seem to be exhausting my current reserve...

    Oh, and I reread Gatsby a year ago. Then wrote an essay about it. Because I am the biggest dork I know. By far.

    By Blogger Kit Pollard, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home