the life and times of kit

Monday, November 28, 2005

Bitterness & Guilt in My Quiet Suburban Life

I have a Body Flow* nemesis. We've never spoken (neither one of us talks much at the gym) but there is something about her that totally rubs me the wrong way. It's some combination of the competitive glare she assumes during the class (she watches everyone out of the corner of her eye), the way she overextends on certain stretches (show-off), and that I once saw her park her fancy Mercedes in between two parking spaces in the (very small) parking lot. I hate that.

When she put her mat down next to mine this morning, I'm sure everyone could see my disappointment and annoyance -she'd be watching me, comparing, for the whole class. I braced myself.

And then, I noticed it. She's missing a toe - the fourth toe on her right foot. Which is just great. The shame of my uncharitable thoughts is washing over me.


*Body Flow is the yoga/tai chi/Pilates class I take on Mondays and Thursdays. Theoretically, it makes me a better, calmer person. In reality, there's a chance I'm a little more flexible and have better balance as a result, but obviously I'm missing some of it's mind/body benefits.

2 Comments:

  • Love the blog. Maybe I need to teach you some elementary school anger management lessons to calm you down.
    --Mr. V

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 PM  

  • But then what would I write about? How would I whine?

    By Blogger Kit Pollard, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home