the life and times of kit

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Unmet Needs/Saying Goodbye

I've never had a strong desire to access the internet while in my car, or walking around, or doing anything else outside my home. I know I could if I needed to, through my cell phone, but that would require too much energy for me.

Today might have changed that, though.

One of my favorite things about the internet is it's ability to provide answers. Need to settle a bet about Rachel Hunter's age? You can find that online (actually a bet I lost - I thought she was much older - must be the Rod Stewart). Want to know, for sure, who was in the Traveling Wilburys? That's out there, too. All kinds of good stuff.

So today. I got in the car to go to Best Buy (more on that later)* and switched the radio to 99.1 WHFS. Kind of a famous radio station. Been around forever. Organizes enormous concerts several times a year. Plays kind of an alternative-progressive repertoire.

Not today. Today it was in Spanish.

It's always shocking when a radio station changes it's format. A few years ago, the oldies station in Baltimore (also been around forever) switched with the Top 40/hip hop station. Mass confusion among two generations of listeners.

But that's got nothing on this. It's one thing to expect Britney and get Donovan. It's another to expect Linkin Park and get "yo soy something." I don't speak Spanish. I was thrown into a tailspin.

And with no internet to consult, I had to call Cooper. He didn't know anything. I could barely get home fast enough. And the HFS web page didn't even have any explanation - just a new logo and some Spanish writing where the old site used to be (I think that's irresponsible and doesn't endear CBS - the station's owners - to the old listeners, who were many, but that's another post).

Finally I found this explanation. Apparently the listenership was dwindling (though I'm guessing it's still pretty significant) and CBS recognized the strength of the Hispanic market in the DC area (which is growing). I can't say it's a bad marketing move, but probably could have been communicated more clearly. I think this might be standard practice in the radio industry, but I think it sucks. Plus, even though I haven't listened to HFS nearly as much recently as I used to in high school and college, I am a little sad. Even if the quality of the programming decreased once CBS bought the station, it was a Baltimore-DC area institution, with a history of cool DJs and fun events.

I have a lot of good memories related to HFS, like listening to it every morning on the way to school senior year of high school (Radiohead's Creep came on every morning during my seven minute drive), seeing The Meat Puppets, Rollins Band and Counting Crows at the 1994 HFStival, trying to scalp tickets and getting hit on outside RFK at the 1996 HFStival, feeling really old as I drove my 13 year old sister to the 1997 HFStival (we split up once inside), being sad for Johnny Riggs when he was fired, and hearing tons of songs for the first time. I'm sure another station will step up to take it's place, but it won't be the same. RIP HFS.

*Unrelated: Best Buy just kept my business. Just after Christmas, I bought a new printer there that needed a USB cable. I wasn't sure if it needed a special cable, so I asked a girl who worked there. She handed me a cable and I bought it. When I got home, I cut open the package and realized she sold me a USB extender. Not thrilled. But as it turned out, my camera cable works fine for a printer. And I just took back the open package and they refunded my money with a smile and apology. Made me very happy indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home