the life and times of kit

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Interesting

I didn't know that Truman Capote and Harper Lee were childhood friends. (I guess if I knew more about either one of them, I would have.)

Makes me think about how success happens. About the role of determination and ambition and actual talent vs. the accident of place or birth. I suppose that the fact that they found each other as children and stayed friends means they probably saw something genius in the other, and encouraged that. But maybe one of them was more genius, and the other wouldn't have done much if it weren't for the friendship.

And, of course, it makes me think of all of my friends, especially the doctors. Not that any of us is a Capote or a Lee (but maybe?)...but I have always thought that my grades in high school had a lot to do with having smart, driven friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home