the life and times of kit

Monday, November 14, 2005

The Universal "My Generation"

Today, the WaPo reports on a new "phenomenon": high school kids who are into classic rock. Specifically, the author talks with a bunch of music dorks at TJ (a magnet school in northern VA) who have started a "classic rock club" (leave it to the dorky kids to find a way to turn any hobby into something to write on a college application.)

The article is interesting, especially in that it touches on the role of radio and music downloads in kids' newfound interest in classic rock, though it doesn't reveal anything particularly surprising. And I'm happy to read that there is interest in classic rock among high school kids. When my sister was in high school, none of her friends were into that type of music at all.

But it what world is it "new" that high school kids discover classic rock? I was in high school during the high grunge years, yet my mix tapes are dominated by Zeppelin, Creedence and the Who. I've always thought that classic rock is kind of like sex: every generation likes to think they invent it, though it is, by it's very nature, old.

UPDATE: A lot of Stereogum's commenters agree with me. And I agree with a lot of them. Except for all the blabbing about Death Cab vs. Zeppelin. I am so wholely uninterested in mainstream indie rock (boring!) that I wouldn't know a DCFC song if it hit me in the face while I was watching the OC. Which I don't actually watch, though, given my other interests, I probably should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home