the life and times of kit

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

My Pitiful Musical Knowledge Exposed

I know that lists are, for the most part, editorial crutches - content that doesn't require a whole lot of thought and that appeals to the ADD masses. But I can't help it - I love them. I can't resist reading them. Ever.

So when whatevs.org pointed me to this list of the top 100 singles of the decade, so far, I knew I was about to waste at least an hour. And I did. But it was such an entertaining hour.

And anyway, I'd never heard of at least half of the songs. I'm so not up on the latest in music, and I so don't care. Despite my lack of musical knowledge, it seemed like a pretty comprehensive list to me. I couldn't think of any songs I'd add. Then again, most of my favorite songs were written before 1980...

It's always cool, too, to read someone else's take on songs I like (or books or movies or whatever). And a few of the songs have been subjects of discussion or thought in my life anyway:

#68 Clocks by Coldplay. The weekend after Hurricane Isabelle deprived everyone in Baltimore of power, I spent a few hours debating the single best "rock" song ever with a bunch of friends (we were at a bar and pretty scruffy, as no one had power to dry their hair, etc). My favorite song of all time is "Me & Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin, but I understand that my love for that song is a personal thing, so I wouldn't call it the "best song ever." Instead, I chose "Pride (In the Name of Love)" by U2 - and I stand by that choice. I've heard that song a million times and I still get the chills when I hear it. My friend Sam, though, was adamant that "Clocks" is "better than anything U2 has ever sung." I think he's insane. I mean, it's a good song, but better than "Pride"? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he has the same kind of personal thing about Clocks that I have about Bobby McGee and just doesn't realize it.

#59 Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. My sister put this song on a mix CD she made for me in December 2003. It was on a bunch of VH1 ads at the same time, which might make it remind me of that season in particular, except that it's just the kind of song that transcends one particular time or place. What it does remind me of, though, is a conversation my brother and I had about the lost art of the mix tape. See, Erin put it on the middle of the CD when it clearly would be a great last song. It has that questioning, floaty feeling that just lends itself to the end of a tape. But Erin's probably never made a mix tape - they were mostly before her time. So she's never had to actually sit through every song she adds to the tape as she makes it. I think something about the process - that sitting and listening - makes the tape-maker extra conscious of the order of songs. Of how the listeners mood will change as they listen to the tape. At the end of High Fidelity, John Cusak's character describes what it takes to make a really great mix - start it off really strong, then take it up a notch. Might be a lost art, though, since now it's so easy just to dump a bunch of music files on a CD.

#53 Lose Yourself by Eminem. I saw 8 Mile in the theater the first weekend it came out. After I saw it, I wanted to watch it again, immediately. While I've read that it's an overly simplistic movie, I don't care. I can watch it over and over again - especially the rap battle scenes. After watching that movie, I have so much energy. And I feel the same way after I hear the song - like I will win that battle and become a famous rapper, even if I live in a trailer park in Detroit. So I was surprised to read the reviewer who included the song in this list say that he feels winded after hearing the song, like he's just lost a rap battle. He must be a HUGE pessimist.

I was also very, very pleased (and not at all surprised) to see Outkast take places 18 (Ms. Jackson), 2 (Hey Ya) and 1 (Bombs over Bagdhad). And surprised that BOB took the top spot. I mean, I think it's a great song, but I remember once playing it for my brother and sister (who fancy themselves quite knowledgable about music) - and they were not at all into it. Granted, it's slightly reminiscent of "Whoomp There It Is!" but who says that's a bad thing?

I hope I find another one of these fun list thingies tomorrow. They are so entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home