the life and times of kit

Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Science Fair

Now that I've blown off (a little) steam about the countertop thing, I can get back to what I wanted to write about today: the Carroll Manor Elementary School Science Fair.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures, but let me tell you...computers and digital cameras are amazing things. Back in '84, when I was in the science fair, it was all about markers and straight edges. These days, its a little more advanced, so even the most ridiculous project can look fancy.

And some of them certainly were fancy. Some had the definite luster of a mom who's not so far from her sorority girl days (everything but the puffy paint). Unfortunately, almost all of them managed to ignore at least one or two line items from the checklist we used for grading.

Even so, there were some pretty impressive projects. I judged the fourth graders with the help of two other judges: a retired man who tutors at the school (and who's kids went there) and an ex-cop stay at home mom who lives down the street from one of the teachers. The three of us got along well - our impressions were pretty consistent (we discussed the first project, then judged everything else on our own).

While I'm not going to sign up for a teaching job anytime soon, something about judging was definitely fun. The power! The excitement! After judging all 40 projects individually, we averaged our scores and interviewed the top 3 kids to decide who would go to the county science fair. The looks on the kids' faces was priceless. I can't believe I'm old enough to be on the receiving end of that kind of look...like I'm the authority.

The boy who won first place was awesome. If I was in 4th grade, I think I'd like him. He was friendly and obviously athletic and totally cute...and his project was amazing. It was on pond pollution and he obviously actually did it himself. I left crossing my fingers that my kids are that well-rounded.

And the little girl who came in third...I wanted to take her home. She was wearing an adorable pink polo shirt with white, pink and brown flowered capris. Clearly, all the boys like her, but she didn't give off a cocky mean girls vibe (then again, she probably wouldn't to me...I'm sure I don't exactly look like her competition). I loved her. I wanted to give her second place, possibly because I liked her outfit.

The third little boy had clearly not done any of his project himself...and he was super shy. But cute, I guess. I was still blinded by the other two.

So the science fair itself was great. I loved how happy the kids were...and I walked away feeling like I'll be a good parent when it comes to helping with stuff like this (though I will do my very best NOT to do my kids' projects for them. We'll see how that goes.)

But...possibly the weirdest part of the whole day was at lunch. My team of judges ate lunch with the other team and with the principal and vice principal (my friend Will). We were talking about random stuff when a woman on the other team (a friend of the ex-cop) somehow got on the subject of people from New Hampshire. She rambled on for a little while about how down to earth they are (who cares) and how they're so not into material things (I find that hard to believe as a state-wide statement). And the example she used..."like if you drive a BMW, they'll be like, whatever, you only drive that because you think its a great car. They have no patience for that type of person."

I might have blushed at that point (I should mention - I was all kinds of preppied out - pink pants, pink and white flowered shoes with a RIBBON on them, etc. I looked like I might drive a BMW.). I tried to catch Will's eye, but I think he was purposefully avoiding me. I wasn't sure whether I should say, "I used to drive a BMW" and make her (or me) look like an ass, but I just kept quiet. And reminded myself never to make a blanket statement like that in front of people I don't know. Not that I would anyway. Because I have, you know, social skills.

I couldn't help but look around in the parking lot before I got in my car, though. I kind of wanted her to see me in the (fabulous) Mercedes, just so she'd maybe be embarrassed. Then again, she probably would just think I was "that" kind of person. But so what if I am? Its a hot car. And so was the BMW (especially when I first got it).

She was kind of gross anyway. And she couldn't control her language. I mean, there's a time and a place. And an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL is not the place. Seriously.

Anyway, that was the science fair. Pollutants, pizza and class warfare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home