the life and times of kit

Monday, August 29, 2005

Hurricanes

I have never been to New Orleans, but it has been on my short list of places I want to go ever since I started my list of places I want to go. In the ten or so years in between, I've knocked off a bunch of places that require a longish plane ride (Paris, San Francisco, Lisbon), but for some reason, I've never made the much shorter trip to New Orleans. And now it looks like I'm going to have to wait a while longer.

As I've read about Katrina's destruction in New Orleans, I tried to comprehend it, but just couldn't. Two years ago, when Hurricane Isabelle hit Annapolis and Baltimore, the downed trees, flooded cars and power outages seemed like absolute chaos. But that was nothing compared to what's happening in New Orleans right now. At least we were above sea level, even if not by much.

I haven't read any new news in a little while, but I'll continue to hope that the few reports I read that suggested Katrina was veering slightly off course hold true...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home