the life and times of kit

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Last Night's Rockstar

We learned last night that the whole show will wrap up next week. INXS will choose from the final three and a new band will be born.

And I will be in Paris, far away from American network TV. Quelle desappointement.

Anyway, last night's show. First of all, while I like JD's song Pretty Vegas, it's not exactly versatile. He sounds exactly the same every time he sings it. And I'm not falling for the "softer side of JD" they tried to show. AND what was up with his kissing Dave Navarro's cheek? Totally weak version of that famous Navarro-Farrell tongue kiss from the mid-nineties.

I just don't like JD.

But I don't like Mig so much either, and he's the other pretty boy contestant. He seems nice enough, harmless. And his voice is fine. But I certainly wasn't surprised to learn that he'd been in Rent. His performances are so polished - they really feel like performances, not concerts. Last night he had the opportunity to sing "darker" songs. And his voice was dead on, but the spirit behind it just wasn't there. He's just not soulful.

Suzie and Marty, though...they are versatile and soulful. While I think that Suzie is wildly talented - probably the most talented contestant at this point - I don't think she's the next singer of INXS. I don't think they'll take the risk of going with a woman, and I don't think she has the right kind of voice for the group.

But Marty...I am officially over the David Spade-Hansen-Beck lookalike issue. If Suzie is the most talented, Marty is the biggest rock star on that show. I thought he was fantastic last night, I thought Trees translated really well into acoustic and it was super smart of him to change it up like that, and I thought that he was brilliant to talk to INXS about the next generation of the band, even if he sounded opinionated. His intensity (which was so apparent when he sang Creep) is exactly what INXS needs, in my humble opinion.

If INXS chooses Marty, I'll be impressed and I will know that they're dedicated to being the best band they can be today - that they're not interested in merely creating a mildly updated version of INXS circa 1988. Unfortunately, I'll also be surprised. Just as I don't think they'd risk choosing a woman, I don't know that they'll go for someone who's not an overt sex symbol. Great music or not, Michael Hutchence's appearance was important to the success of the original band.

My gut - and I hope I'm wrong - is that they're trying to convince themselves that going with JD would be OK. That it wouldn't be self-destructive.

I guess we'll see next week, though (and tonight). Or, rather, everyone else in America will see next week. I'll be setting my TiVo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home