the life and times of kit

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Somewhat Against My Better Judgment

I have gotten very involved in the INXS show. And I think it's SO good. I didn't watch for the first few weeks, out of respect for my eighth grade self (my obsession with Michael Hutchence can only be compared to young girls' 1986 Bon Jovi worship). Then, when I finally tuned in, I expected to see a train wreck.

I was so wrong. I mean, Dave Navarro is the very definition of "train wreck" - if he has any rock cred left after his cheesy "good job guys" role, I'll be very surprised. But the rest of INXS comes off as fairly serious and not nearly as opportunistic as having reality show suggests.

And the contestants. They're awesome. Since I came to the game late, I probably missed some of the less talented ones, but overall, I am so impressed with the people involved. They've got tons of musical talent and stage presence and truly seem different than standard reality "stars." I guess I expected the contestanst to be more Say What Karaoke than stadium-ready. I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

I would like to see JD given the boot, though. Must be a sign of maturity that his bad boy faux swagger does nothing for me except make me think he'd detract from the band's success. I think they must be keeping him around because he creates conflict and makes good TV. (Though I did think he put on a good show last night. I also thought his original song sounded pretty INXS-y...though maybe more mid-80's INXS than today.)

This week, I'm sorry to day, I'm almost positive that Jordis will be sent home. She tripped a little last night - and she can't afford to do that at this point in the game. I think things are looking better and better for Marty than they have for quite a while. He was good enough last night that I almost got past his eery resemblance to David Spade. Or the Hanson boys. Or Beck. Take your pick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home