the life and times of kit

Monday, September 12, 2005

A Very Difficult Question


rothko
Originally uploaded by Kit Pollard.
The UK seems to be in some sort of "vote for the best of" frenzy these days. This Guardian article talks lists a ton of recent popular contests in which callers or emailers cast their votes for the "best" work of British art, "best" song, etc. I suppose this is highbrow meeting lowbrow in the very most current way.

The real purpose of the article, though, is to announce that one of the more popular contests - best artwork - is coming to America. Soon, the masses will have an opportunity to share their thoughts on what is the very best work of art in the world.

I'll apologize in advance for being a cultural elitist and art snob, but in what world is the American Idol viewership qualified to comment on this? The question is not "What is your favorite work of art?" - it is "What is the BEST work of art?"

And there is a huge difference. This Rothko happens to be my favorite work of art. I like the color, it makes me happy, etc., etc. But I certainly wouldn't call it "the best ever." That superlative should be reserved for something that's both beautiful to look at and intellectually riveting. Something that had an impact beyond the aesthetic.

Sure, a Rothko fan could make the argument that he was daring in his use of color, that his paintings had deeper meaning. Certainly I think they are full of emotion. But they're not Guernica.

I'm not suggesting that I'm qualified to make a "best ever" decision, either. Maybe if I spent the next twenty years studying art, maybe then I could offer an opinion.

And I am, truly, all for democratizing most things. But call me a cultural oligarchist, I just think that some opinions are best voiced by those with some knowledge about the subject. Anything else dumbs down the discourse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home