the life and times of kit

Monday, February 07, 2005

Underwhelmed

Right out of college, I went to work for an ad agency. I had a lot of mixed emotions about that job, but one thing it did leave me with was a new holiday: Superbowl Sunday. There's nothing quite like watching the Superbowl ads with a bunch of agency people. It's so exciting - like Christmas.

It's been a few years since I've watched with an agency crew, but the excitement lives on. Last night, I was ready for some good spots, though I was a little concerned that advertisers would be afraid to take risks, thanks to the FCC. And wow, I was right to be worried. I can't remember ever being so disappointed by the quality of Superbowl advertising.

This Bud Light ad didn't make the cut - and that's too bad because it was funny. I liked this FedEx/Kinkos spot best out of all, mostly because FedEx always targets the ad agency audience, so their ads have that inclusive, inside-joke feel. I thought this Anheuser Busch spot was nice and very heart-string tugging, but not exactly risky (though some on the left might disagree). Otherwise, though, I was unimpressed. Nothing stood out. Nothing was that edgy. I miss the 90s, with crazy spending and herding cats and such...

Well, like the NFL spot (which I think I remember from last year, as well, though I do like it) says - today, they're all undefeated. There's always next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home