the life and times of kit

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Design Lust

What began as mild interest sometime around 1998 has evolved into a full-fledged case of covet. I want an Eames lounge chair so badly I can practically taste it.

It all started with an issue of Flaunt. Every copy of the magazine includes some type of toy. One of those toys was a pop-up doll style Eames chair and ottoman. That sat on my desk at work for a year or two, then migrated to my house, then to an apartment, but was finally jettisoned (it was pretty ratty) when I moved in with Cooper. But I never forgot the love.

In December 2003, I began working in a Mies van der Rohe building in downtown Baltimore (the link is not to a picture of the Baltimore building, but to one that looks just like it, only bigger). The lobby was decorated just as Mies intended: with Barcelona chairs. Somehow, that intensified my appreciation for the Eames lounge (I like the Barcelona, too - I think its because they're in the same design family.)

Then came March of 2004. Two trips to Herman Miller. Cementing my desire. I sat in Eames chairs. I observed them in their natural habitats. I was on complete sensory overload for the entirety of both trips. The HM headquarters is spread out over several buildings - I've visited three (plus an intensely cool small hotel open only to HM visitors). One of the buildings is a showpiece for potential clients and includes a bunch of showroom-like spaces. The ones that highlighted the HM classics designed for the home nearly made me salivate.

Fast forward to last Sunday. I spent the day walking around a flea market in Paris (les puces de saint ouen), surrounded by some amazing french stuff. But what caught my eye? Anything mid-century American-modern. I just can't get enough of it.

Which all brings me to this morning: spent searching for Eames chairs on eBay. Alas, they are still way too expensive for Cooper to stomach. (I floated it with him last night. He looked like he swallowed something bad when I said $2000.)

Sigh. Maybe one day. Like when he retires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home